Tuesday 10 February 2015

Published Book Research

Today I went down to the college library to do some research on published photography books.
I tried to find books with photography of a similar theme to my work so I could look at how they where laid and what style of paper was used. This would then give me idea of how to lay my work out, although in my head I already have slight plan.

The 1st book I looked at was called 'The Polaroid Book' by Barbara Hitchcock and Steve Crist. 
In existence for over 50 years, the Polaroid Corporation's photography collection is the greatest collection of Polaroid images in the world. Begun by Polaroid founder Edwin Land and photographer Ansel Adams, the collection now includes images by hundreds of photographers throughout the world and contains important pieces by artists such as David Hockney, Helmut Newton, and Robert Rauschenberg. The Polaroid Book pays tribute to a medium that defies the digital age and remains a favourite among artists today; for it's quirky look and instantly gratifying one of a kind images.
I noticed this book instantly because of its front cover, this is what it looked like.. 


This book cover really caught my eye as the cover art to the album my work is themed and related to is a polaroid picture.
I thought that pictures in this book may have that grungy film effect that I want my pictures to have. I do also like this front cover though and how 8 different pictures have been used to create a frame on the cover with the title centre in the middle. 

This is what the page layout of the book looked like.. 





I really like the layout of this, how both pictures are the same size. This is something similar to how I'm planning to layout my book. Although I do think that the white frame around the edge of the pictures are too big, I do understand as the pages need to be larger as not all the images in this book are the same size.



This book also had a introduction page. This is not something I'm planning to include in my book. 



This is the second book that I looked at called Uncommon Places by Stephen Shore











I like the layout in this book and how all of the images are similar size's. I also like the boarder of the page around the image, and the selected completely blank pages. These help to space the book out or to keep things separate. I also like how well the book title ties in with the style of the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment